Why do people wear watches any more?
It is not news to anyone that our use of the ubiquitous smartphone has usurped many of the functions once served solely by watches.
But Watches Are Still a Thing! But why?
1. Watches are beyond doubt a fashion item. For men, a watch may be the only piece of jewellery they wear. They are an accessory, particularly when you consider that the range of acceptable jewellery for a man is limited. Many men are only going to be seen with three main accessories – a nice watch, a stylish pair of cuff links, and a wedding ring. A watch makes it easier for them to display their sense of style.
2. A quick glance at a watch is also a lot easier than digging your phone out of your bag every time you need a time check! Fishing for a phone on regular occasions just to check the time looks desperate.
3. One of the big advantages of a watch – especially over a smartphone – is how long it can run for. Many watches are made to either be self powered through motion or use a small amount of energy from a battery: years of maintenance free time-telling…..compare that to a smart phone’s 8 hours!
4. A wrist watch is more than a time-keeper. It is a symbol of tradition and history encased in a showpiece with extreme craftsmanship. Some of us may be wearing a piece of art on our wrist! Some watches can also be an investment.
5. Tradition. Women have been wearing watches since the early 1500s. Yes, you heard that right, women wore wristwatches and men carried pocketwatches.
Here at Oh My Gift, we have a selection of affordable watches which you can turn into that quintessential gift, by personalising the back to make it a truly meaningful gift. Click here to view our current range.